BANM provides Naturopathic and Chinese medicine as adjunctive complementary therapies to patients undergoing conventional cancer treatments. Integrative cancer care provides a more optimized approach to the success of cancer therapies because it takes into account the whole person, including the physical, mental, and spiritual aspects of health. BANM is the only naturopathic medical clinic in Northern California that customizes Chinese herbal formulations for each patient.
We work closely with oncologists and encourage open communication with other members of the healthcare team to provide a collaborative approach. As a result, we are able to formulate an optimal individualized treatment plan that includes the following:
- Education regarding certain types of cancer and the benefits and risks of various treatment options.
- Referrals to conventional medical doctors, as needed, who support working as a team with BANM.
- Stimulation of the immune system to defend against cancer / concurrent infections because surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy can adversely affect the immune system.
- Dietary therapeutics for patients, including those undergoing chemotherapy or radiation treatments, to enhance immune functions. Due to possible reduced appetite or loss of tastes, we provide suggestions to make foods more palatable.
- Evidence-based nutritional supplements, including vitamins, minerals, and/or botanicals, will be recommended based on a diagnosis.
- Reducing side effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapies, such as nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, low blood counts, etc. Acupuncture therapy has been effectively shown to reduce chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in cancer patients who receive weekly acupuncture treatments while undergoing chemotherapy or radiation. Additionally, weekly acupuncture sessions enhance the body’s immune status to combat cancer cells.
- Preparation for surgery and recovery to aid in immune enhancement, wound repair, nutrition, and prevention of adhesions from scar formation. Counseling includes which nutrients should be taken, as well as those that should be discontinued while undergoing surgery to avoid unnecessary complications and to optimize the healing process.
- Maintenance care to prevent recurrence, as well as optimize the body’s detoxification pathways. While surgery, chemotherapy or radiation procedures may have ended, the body has had a huge influx of foreign chemicals, radiation, and trauma. Depending on the type of treatment, the integrative approach of Naturopathic and Chinese medicine will help to detoxify by opening elimination routes and enhancing immune functions.
An integrative Naturopathic and Chinese medicine treatment plan may incorporate the following modalities, in addition to individualized therapy:
Our goal is to help patients take better care of themselves by making lifestyle changes that will lead to a healthier life.